Citizenship by Descent or Conferral
You can become a citizen of Australia in different ways. The most common ways to apply are through descent – meaning you are a child of an Australian, or conferral, where you meet eligbility criteria that allows you to apply.
Applying for citizenship by descent
- you were born outside Australia
- ensure that the person you are claiming descent from was your parent and an Australian citizen at the time of your birth
- be of good character when you apply
Applying for citizenship by conferral
- be a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen when you apply and when we decide on your application
- be in Australia when we decide on your application (in most cases)
- have spent time in Australia and know about our country
- intend to live in Australia or maintain a lasting link with Australia whilst overseas
You must meet the criteria before you apply.
Milestone delivers professional and affordable migration services.