From Australia

08 9463 6624

From Philippines

0928 521 6347

When, Why and How to Update your Changed Information with Immigration

In this article, we’ll go through what kind of information you need to keep up to date with the Department of Home Affairs and how to submit your changes. 

What information needs to be updated?

When you are granted a visa by the Department of Home Affairs your visa grant notice states that you are required to tell the Department about any changes to your details as soon as possible.

These changes may include your name, passport, contact details, address or members of your family unit.

If you do not notify Immigration of your new details, this can have serious consequences for you.

How do you tell Immigration about your new details?

If you have a new passport or have updated your email or residential address since being granted your last visa, you need to update your details.

If you lodged your visa yourself, you can login to your ImmiAccount and choose to ‘update details’ using the online form.

If you lodged a ‘paper-based’ application – you will need to download and complete Form 929 from the immigration website and send the form and attachments by email to [email protected]

Alternatively – you can make contact with your previous migration agent to seek their assistance in updating your details.

Common circumstances which can lead to your details being out-of-date

  • You’ve got a new passport migration
  • You’ve moved house
  • You’ve changed your email address
  • You’ve started a de-facto relationship, got engaged, married or divorced
  • You’ve had a new baby

Have a think about any changes to your circumstances since you last applied for a visa.

If you have a new passport, new address or have ended or started a new relationship you may need to let Immigration know.



We always recommend that you discuss significant changes in your life, particularly relationship changes, with a registered migration agent to consider any impact on your visa.

Milestone delivers professional and affordable migration services