Milestone Migration

What is an Australian Resident Return Visa?

What is an Australian Resident Return Visa?

Why is it important to check the validity of your travel facility before flying outside Australia?

That is because Australian Permanent Residents (PR) do not have an automatic right to return to Australia from overseas.

PR visa holders are usually permitted a 5-year travel facility.

A travel facility allows you to leave and re-enter Australia as a permanent resident for as many times as you like in the 5 years from the date your permanent visa was granted, as long as your visa remains valid.

If you are a PR visa holder and your travel facility has expired, you will need a Resident Return Visa (RRV) if you want to travel overseas and return to Australia.

Returning to Australia without a permanent visa that has a valid travel facility (for example, entering Australia on an ETA or visitor visa) may impact both your:

  • entitlements as a permanent resident
  • ability to satisfy the permanent residence requirements when applying for Australian citizenship or when applying for another Resident Return visa.


Your travel facility is listed in both your visa grant notification letter and the visa information provided by VEVO.

The Department also has a Travel Facility Expiry Reminder (TFER) service that helps remind certain permanent residents that the travel facility on their permanent visa is expiring in 60 days. For more information, see Overseas travel as a permanent resident.

Remember that there are no limits on the number of RRVs you can apply for.

You may need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return visa (subclass 155 or subclass 157) if:

  • the travel facility on your permanent visa has either already expired or will expire while you are outside Australia
  • you are a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • you are a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.
  • If you intend to arrive in Australia without a valid visa, your entry will be denied (unless you are an Australian citizen).


A valid passport or other travel document is also required before the Department grants this visa. Make sure your passport information is always updated in your ImmiAccount.

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for an RRV but not in immigration clearance.


The information provided is for general use only and should NOT be taken as Migration Advice. For information about your circumstances, please contact Milestone Migration for immigration assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts