Australia is currently prioritising applications concerning healthcare and teaching occupations according to the new Ministerial Direction No 100 that came into effect on 28 October 2022.
This also includes offshore permanent and provisional applications to allow more workers to enter Australia and ease critical workforce shortages.
Due to the high volume of applications, the Department of Home Affairs has stopped using the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) and Critical Sectors for prioritising skilled visas and stated that the previous system was a “time-consuming and complex assessment”.
A department spokesperson told Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) Australia that visa applications for nurses and teachers are now being assessed in just three days.
Ministerial Direction No. 100 says priority is given to visa applications where the primary applicant is located outside Australia at the time the visa application is made.
The following Healthcare and Teaching Occupations are currently prioritised:
- ANZSCO Sub-major Group 25 – Health Professionals
- ANZSCO Minor Group 241 – School Teachers
- ANZSCO Minor Group 411 – Health and Welfare Support Workers
- ANZSCO Unit Group 1341 – Child Care Centre Managers
- ANZSCO Unit Group 2346 – Medical Scientists
- ANZSCO Unit Group 2721 – Counsellors
- ANZSCO Unit Group 2723 – Psychologists
- ANZSCO Unit Group 2725 – Social Workers
- ANZSCO Unit Group 3112 – Medical Technicians
- ANZSCO occupations:
- 134311 – School Principal
- 421111 – Child Care Worker
- 423111 – Aged or Disabled Carer
- 423312 – Nursing Support Worker
- 423313 – Personal Care Assistant.
The new priorities apply to all skilled visa nominations and visa applications that are yet to be decided, as well as new applications lodged.
Visit skilled visa processing priorities (homeaffairs.gov.au) for more information.
If you are not sure how to lodge an application, it is highly recommended that you get professional assistance from us.
Send us a message for a free quote or call +61 8 9463 6624
The information provided is for general use only and should NOT be taken as Migration Advice. For information about your circumstances, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Milestone Migration for immigration assistance.